I am all about that digital nomad lifestyle.
I’m passionate about making money online because it provides me the freedom I need to explore new places and take on new projects.
Whether it’s freelance writing or teaching English over Skype, I enjoy combining my online side hustles to make a full-time income.
So, it should come as no surprise that I decided to start a blog three months ago.
I needed a creative outlet and I wanted to share my knowledge and ideas with a bigger audience. And although I thought it would be possible to make money blogging down the road, never in a million years did I think I would make almost $1,700 in my first three months of blogging!
I earned $779 blogging in August, which is definitely a huge accomplishment. But if I’m being honest with myself, I know I could of done a lot better.
This past month, I spent the majority of my time travelling around Ontario. I was constantly on the road, busy exploring new places and often without reliable internet. As a result, I didn’t spend much time promoting or working on my blog.
So, the fact that I still saw an increase in my income compared to last month, is a huge surprise. And it really goes to show how amazing passive income can be!
In this post, I’m going to breakdown my traffic, income, expenses, accomplishments and future goals. I want to be able to look back on these posts in the future to see exactly what did or didn’t work for my blog. And I also want to inspire you to make money online and through your blog!
Of course, the first step is actually starting a blog. And if you need help with that, check out my simple guide on how to start a successful blog. And if you have any questions during the process, please reach out and send me an email.
Alright, let’s get to the good stuff.
BLOG INCOME REPORT FOR AUGUST 2017
Blog Traffic Breakdown
When it comes to these income reports, I like to be as transparent as possible. I want you to not only know how much money I made blogging this month, but I want you to know exactly how I got there. Because I want you to be able to achieve the exact same thing!
In August 2017, I had a total of 7,720 page views on my blog. The majority of my traffic came from Pinterest and Facebook, which brought in a combined total of 3,754. And, the rest came mostly from search engines and Instagram!
My post popular posts in August:
- Powerful Pinterest Strategy | 2,035 views
- How to Start a Lifestyle Blog | 1,050 views
- Second Income Report | 745 views
Blog Income Breakdown
It’s no secret that most of my income comes from affiliate marketing. But I am SO proud to say that this past month, I was able to earn $175 through my own services! Oh, and I started earning a few bucks from ads!
Let’s take a closer look:
- Airbnb: $44 credit | For most of my adult life, I’ve been living in Airbnb apartments full-time. In August, one of my readers signed up for Airbnb using my referral link – which gave them $50 off their first trip AND gave me a $44 credit! It’s a win-win situation.
- Adsense: $12.68 | In July, I ran a few MediaNet ads on my blog and unfortunately didn’t make a dollar. So, this month I decided to make the switch to Adsense and so far, I’m quite pleased! I’ve made over $10 this month through the ad on my sidebar and a couple embedded in my posts. I realize I could probably make more money through Adsense with more ads, but I don’t want them to feel intrusive.
- Bluehost: $340 | You guys, I’m a Bluehost fangirl. This is the company that I use to host my blog and I’ve had nothing but great experiences! I always take advantage of their 24/7 live chat and appreciate the little freebies they send me! In fact, I made my first-ever blogging income through Bluehost and for that, I will always be grateful! In August, I had 4 people sign up for Bluehost using my referral link.
- Ebates: $55 | I only starting using Ebates earlier this year and it’s already become one of my must-have web browser extensions. I talked about the benefits of using Ebates to save money in this post. Three of my readers signed up for Ebates using my referral link and made a purchase over $25. And, thanks to an amazing referral bonus happening right now, I earned $55 for the referrals instead of only $15!
- Fiverr: $60 | Before I got into this whole blogging thing, I made a good chunk of my online income by selling services on Fiverr. So, it’s no surprise that I talk about the benefits of Fiverr and share my referral links in a number of posts. This month, a total of four people signed up through my link and bought services on Fiverr, earning me $60 in total!
- Freshbooks: $8 | From invoicing clients to managing expenses, Freshbooks is a must-have for any blogger running a business. For the past two weeks, I’ve had a Freshbooks ad on my sidebar. In turn, 4 people signed up for the 30-day free trial of Freshbooks, earning me a whopping $2 per person.
- Grammarly: $20.40 | Where would I be without Grammarly? Um, probably stuck trying to figure out if I need to put a comma in or out of the brackets! Jokes aside – Grammarly is a lifesaver when it comes to blogging, so naturally, I mentioned it on my Resources page. Two people signed up for the free version of Grammarly through my link and one person purchased the premium version, earning me just over $20 this month.
- Linqia: $45 | I truly believe Linqia is the perfect introduction to sponsored posts. It’s completely free to sign up. Which is why I am really excited to be apart of this influencer network and get on my first campaign! This month, 9 people signed up for Linqia through my link, bringing in $45 total.
- Tailwind: $15 credit | A tool to put my Pinterest on autopilot and generate traffic while I sleep? Yes please. Last month, I purchased an annual Tailwind membership and promoted the service in my Pinterest Strategy post. A bunch of people signed up for the free trial of Tailwind using my link and one person also bought a membership.
- TrustedHousesitters: $3 | If you haven’t heard of TrustedHousesitters, you’re seriously missing out. With a membership, you can apply to be a house/pet sitter anywhere in the world and in exchange, you get free accommodation! Yes, totally free, no strings attached accommodation. I had two people sign up through my link, earning me a few dollars this month.
- Swagbucks: $6.60 | This is hands-down one of my favourite online side hustles because it’s an easy way to make some extra money! I had three people take advantage of a free sign up to Swagbucks through my link, earning me $2.20 per person.
- Services: $125 | In July, I started offering blogging services, audits and coaching. I had 5 people take advantage of my $25 brilliant blog audit promotion in August, earning me $125. In all honesty, I was hoping to make more money through my services this month, but we’ll get to that later. If you’re interested in a blog audit, click here and don’t forget to subscribe to my mailing list for a special discount!
Total Income for August 2017: $779.68
Or, $986.26 Canadian Dollars!
Blog Expenses Breakdown
This month, I barely spent any money on my blog and to be honest, I kind of feel bad about it. I think it’s important to invest money into your business and I’m a firm believer in the saying you’ve got to spend money to make money.
But with my 36-month hosting plan and annual Tailwind membership already paid for upfront, I didn’t have any big ticket purchases this past month.
Investing in my blog is definitely something that I want to focus on in the upcoming weeks, but I’ll talk more about that in my September goals further down.
- My Social Media Grew! Even though I didn’t spend as much time on social media this month, particularly Facebook and Twitter, I still saw an increase in my numbers. Here is a breakdown of my social media numbers in comparison to last month:
- Facebook Page Likes: 595 to 625
- Twitter Followers: 1,432 to 1,685
- Instagram Followers: 3,612 to 4,167
- Pinterest Followers: 462 to 757
- I launched a Facebook Group! In my income report last month, one of my goals for August was to start a Facebook group. And I’m so proud to say that I did just that. My group, The Blog Nest is a place for online entrepreneurs to make new connections and promote their content. I ended the month with 94 members and I would love to see the group grow even more this month. Come join my Facebook group here!
- I participated in free courses and webinars! Although I didn’t invest a lot of money into my blog this month, I did invest my time. I participated in several free courses from other bloggers like Melyssa Griffin and Solopreneur Sidekick. And I also joined in on a couple webinars.
- Be More Active on Social Media! As I mentioned earlier, I was travelling for most of August and in September, I’ll be travelling even more. But I don’t want this to stop me from being consistently active on social media. This month, I need to work on my Twitter and Facebook page. To help accomplish this, I’m going to use Buffer to schedule my Tweets in advance. And I’m going to run a “Feature Friday” every week on my Facebook page, where I share on of my favourite bloggers from the week.
- Grow My Email List! In all honesty, sometimes I feel really discouraged about my email list. It doesn’t grow as quickly as I would like despite following all of the advice I read online. I offer a Secret Library full of freebies relating to my past content and although it brings in a couple new subscribers everyday, I want more. I’m thinking about creating a free email course but I don’t know if that will be finished by the end of September.
- Invest More in My Blog! This blog is my passion project and I want to treat it that way! I barely spent anything on my blog this past month and I’m feeling guilty about it. In September, I want to invest in my blog. I might hire someone to design a new logo. And I’m thinking about purchasing a paid course or ebook. If you have any recommendations for me, please let me know in the comments!
Even though I only spent a few hours per week working on my blog, I was still able to see an income increase from last month.
The power of passive income is pretty awesome. Right?!
If you’re feeling inspired to start your own successful self-hosted blog, make sure you read my complete beginner’s guide here.
If you already have a blog and you want to know how to improve your traffic and make more money, apply for a brilliant blog audit here.
And don’t be afraid to shoot me an email if you have any questions at all!
Let’s talk online income in the comments! Did you make any money online this month?