Learning how to make money online changed my life forever.
Two years ago, I was stuck in a boring office job and yearned for a life of travel. I did a lot of research and found several successful online side hustles. In just a few months, I began earning enough money to quit my job and become location independent.
I decided to start my own blog and write about my new lifestyle.
But I made one crucial mistake… I had no strategy.
I didn’t promote my posts or connect with other bloggers. And nobody was going to find my posts through search engines because I didn’t know how to use keywords! If you’re struggling with SEO, definitely check out my post about beginner SEO tips for bloggers.
I just expected the traffic to start rolling in.
But, guess what?
My blog went unnoticed. And all too quickly, I gave up on my dreams of blogging. I didn’t touch or even look at my blog for almost two years. And then out of the blue, I got a random email earlier this year from someone who said that my blog inspired them to become a freelance writer!
Knowing that I was able to inspire someone through my blog was all it took to get me back on the horse.
Last month, I decided to start blogging again. But this time, with a strategy.
Over the last month, I have been working really hard to build up my blog. I write content often, promote my posts on social media, connect with other bloggers and do a lot of research. And much to my own surprise, I was able to make over $200 in my very first month of blogging!
And I’ll tell you exactly how I did it.
June 2017 Blog Income Report
Want to start your own blog?
Check out my in-depth, actionable guide on setting up a profitable blog from scratch. Or, sign up for my free build a blog email course!
Blogging Income Breakdown
In June, I signed up for a bunch of affiliate networks and programs. And I was able to earn a total of $210. Or as I like to look at it, $272 CAD – where the rest of my Canadians at?! Oh, and I also earned a free Uber ride.
Let’s take a look at the breakdown:
- Affiliate Window (also known as Awin): This is an affiliate network that connects bloggers to tons of popular brands and companies. It costs $5 to join but you can get that back once you make your first commission. These are the programs that I’ve joined so far on Awin and the earnings I’ve received:
- Bluehost: $195
- Booking.com: $0
- Ebates: $0
I often include my Airbnb referral link in my blog posts, which provides first-time users with a $40 coupon off their first stay. In return, I receive a $25 travel credit for my future reservations. I’ve had several people sign up for Airbnb with my link, but none have completed their trips yet.
I also include my Uber referral link throughout my posts, which provides first-time users with a free ride. In return, I receive a free ride also. So far, I’ve earned one free Uber ride through my blog.
Total Income in June 2017: $210 USD
Which works out to be $272 Canadian Dollars! Plus a free Uber ride and $25 Airbnb credit!
Not bad for my first month. Am I right?
At first, I found it quite difficult to keep track of all the affiliate networks and programs that I signed up with. So, I designed a handy affiliate tracking sheet, which helps me remember all of my affiliates, logins, and passwords. I always refer to this when I’m writing new posts so I can decide which companies to include.
You can download the same sheet, plus a ton of other freebies by joining my Secret Library!
Blogging Expenses Breakdown
To be honest, I didn’t have very many blogging-related expenses this month. As I mentioned earlier, I technically started this blog in 2015. Back then, I paid upfront for a 36-month hosting plan. And here is what I spent money on this month:
- Website Theme: $50 (I was previously using a free theme and was in need of a serious upgrade!)
- Tailwind: $15 (An inexpensive tool to put my Pinterest on autopilot? Yes, please! This month, I’ve been scheduling all of my pins through Tailwind and now Pinterest is my biggest source of traffic by a landslide. Sign up for Tailwind using my referral link and get your first month for free!)
Besides making money through my blog, I had some other achievements this past month! Let’s take a look at my highlight reel:
- I Started a Blog. Can we just take a moment to appreciate how big of an achievement this is on its own? If you’re feeling inspired and want to start your own blog, check out my in-depth guide!
- I Learned New Skills. Okay, so this is more of a personal achievement rather than a blog achievement. But since I started this blog, I’ve learned a lot about search engine optimization, coding, and graphic design. And I for one, love learning new things.
- My Social Media Grew. I really put myself out there this month. I joined Facebook groups, Pinterest group boards, Instagram comment pods and followed a bunch of other bloggers. Here is a breakdown of my social media growth (keep in mind that a lot of these were initially my personal accounts, which is why I already had some followers):
- Facebook page likes: 0 to 142
- Twitter followers: 282 to 957
- Instagram followers: 2,421 to 3,011
- Pinterest followers: 27 to 305
- I Started an Email List. As per the advice of many bloggers, I decided to start an email list from the very beginning. I created an exciting opt-in: the Secret Library, where I share free blogging resources, printables, and advice. I’ve only had an email list for about two weeks and I’m very impressed by the numbers so far.
Goals for Next Month
I am very proud of myself for everything I accomplished this past month. And for July, I have even bigger plans! Here are some goals I want to hit next month:
- Grow My Social Media. In July, I definitely want to focus on growing my Pinterest followers. To achieve this, I am going to make more Pinterest boards for my own profile and apply to more Pinterest group boards. You can read more about my entire Pinterest strategy here.
- Start a Facebook Group. Honestly, Facebook groups are such an awesome way to connect with each other, ask for advice and promote/share content. In July, I want to start my own Facebook group and bring more bloggers and entrepreneurs! *Update: I started a Facebook group! You can join for free here.*
- Make a Resources Page. I don’t know about you, but I looove finding resources pages on blogs that I read. It’s a great way to learn about new products and services. And I’m also thankful for bloggers that share their best secrets! *Update: It’s up! Check out my favourite tools & resources here.*
- Write a Monthly Roundup. Full disclosure, this was actually one of my goals for this month. But the last two weeks of June were jam-packed for me. I could barely find enough time to write this post, never mind a roundup! But next month, I want to write a July roundup, where I share new blogs and products that I’ve been loving.
That concludes my very first income report. I hope you enjoyed learning about my blogging journey, income, achievements, and goals!
If you’re feeling hungry for more new blogger income reports, check out some of my favs:
And check out some of my more recent income reports!
Want to start your own blog? Read my in-depth tutorial and sign up for my free 5-day email course! I will teach you how to set up your own blog from scratch, design it like a pro, write irresistible content and make money from it all! If you have any questions along the way, don’t be afraid to shoot me a message.
Let’s talk about blog income in the comments!
Share your favorite income reports. Tell us how you made your first money blogging. Or share your goals for next month!