I’m a girl with big dreams.
When I was working in an office two years ago, I knew something was missing. I had all these ideas and aspirations of what I wanted to do with my life but instead, I was stuck in a 9 to 5 grind.
So, I quit.
I taught myself how to make money online and the income started rolling in quicker than I ever expected.
What can I say? I like to keep my fingers in different pots.
So, when I realized that you could make money blogging… well, I had to give it a shot.
And don’t get me wrong, I didn’t start blogging with the sole purpose of making money. I’ve always loved writing. Like, when I used to write short stories on LiveJournal as a teenager… the cringe is real guys.
But as it turned out, I was able to make $210 in my first month of blogging! I proved to myself that blogging can indeed be a successful side hustle, even with little traffic.
I continued to work hard over the last month and much to my own surprise, I was able to make $702 in my second month of blogging.
Let me break it down for you.
BLOG INCOME REPORT FOR JULY 2017
Blog Traffic Breakdown
Before we start crunching numbers, I want to talk about my blog traffic for a minute. Because in order for you to fully understand how I made money blogging this month, I think it’s important for you to know how many people actually visited my blog.
My post popular posts in July:
- Powerful Pinterest Strategy | 1,042 views
- How to Start a Lifestyle Blog | 865 views
- SEO Tips for Bloggers | 631 views
I had a total of 4,662 page views on my blog this month.
The majority of this came from Pinterest and Facebook, which brought in a combined total of 3,118 views. And, the rest came mostly from search engines and Twitter.
Blog Income Breakdown
In a similar fashion to June, I mostly focused on affiliate marketing this month. And, I was able to earn a total of $577.20 from affiliate marketing alone. Plus another $125 through my services!
Let’s take a closer look:
- Airbnb: $0 | I’m a huge supporter of Airbnb. You can read this post to learn more about how I actually live in Airbnb apartments full-time. In July, 3 people signed up for Airbnb using my referral link, which will give them $50 off their first trip! If and when they complete their first trip, I will receive a $25 credit.
- Awin: $180* | This is an affiliate network that connects bloggers to various companies. It costs $5 to join, but you get it back after you make your first commission. I had 6 people sign up through my Awin referral link this month and after they make their first commission, I’ll receive $30 per person. Since I technically didn’t make any money from Awin this month, I did not include this amount in my monthly income total.
- Bluehost: $455 | This is the company that I use to host my blog and overall, I’ve had a great experience with them. They offer 24/7 live chat and are always sending me freebies – like, I just got a free security upgrade yesterday! In July, I had 6 people sign up for Bluehost using my referral link.
- Booking.com: $0 | I’ve included several links to this popular travel accommodation website in my posts like 7 Stunning Small Towns in Poland. Although I’ve seen a lot of clicks, no one has made a booking yet.
- Ebates: $50 | I have a confession. I’m a total Ebates addict guys. You can use it to shop at your favourite websites and earn cash back on your purchases. I had 9 people signed up for Ebates through my link and 2 of them made a purchase of over $25. Normally this would earn me $10 but, Ebates is running a referral bonus period, which gave me an extra $40!
- Fiverr: $30 | Selling services on Fiverr has been my most successful side hustle by a landslide. I’ve talked about the benefits of Fiverr (like scoring awesome logos for $5) in a few of my posts and two people have bought services on Fiverr, earning me $30 this month.
- Freshbooks: $5 | This is my one-stop shop for everything related to my blogging services. It lets me track my time, create invoices, manage expenses and bill my clients. It even lets me accept credit card payments! I mentioned Freshbooks on my resources page and earned a $5 affiliate bonus.
- Grammarly: $25 | As a freelance writer, Grammarly is pretty much a necessity. It ensures that everything you write online is clear and mistake-free. I talked about the benefits of Grammarly on my resources page and earned a $25 affiliate bonus.
- Linqia: $10 | I signed up for this influencer network that connects bloggers to brands and although I haven’t participated in any campaigns, two people signed up for Linqia through my link, earning me $10.
- Mailerlite: $0 | I made the switch from MailChimp to Mailerlite this month and honestly, I couldn’t be happier with my decision. Two people signed up for Mailerlite through my link but have not made any upgrades yet.
- TrustedHousesitters: $0 | This is one of my best travel secrets! You can sign up to be a house/pet sitter and in exchange, you get free accommodation – it’s that simple. Although no one has signed up through my link yet, I’m happy to keep promoting something I love using.
- Services: $125 | As per the request of several readers, I began offering blogging services this month. That’s right folks! I now offer blog audits, blog set-ups, blog coaching, Pinterest assistance, freelance writing – and more. You can learn all about it by checking out my services page here.
Total Income for July: $702
Or, $872 Canadian Dollars!
Pretty awesome, right?!
Blog Expenses Breakdown
As I mentioned in my last income report, I technically started this blog two years ago. And I paid upfront for a 36-month hosting plan. So, I didn’t have very many expenses this month.
- Tailwind: $119 | I bit the bullet and purchased an annual Tailwind plan. I mean, I’ll pay just about anything to put my Pinterest on autopilot! Pinterest was my best source of traffic for the second month in a row. You can read all about it in my Pinterest strategy guide. And you can get a free month of Tailwind by signing up through my referral link.
- Office Supplies: $30 | If we want to get really technical, I did purchase some office supplies this month in relation to my blog. I bought a whiteboard to help visualize all of my ideas, an agenda to help me track my schedule along with washi tape and bristol boards for styled stock photos – speaking of which…
- Social Media Growth | I spent a lot of time on social media this month. And I saw a huge increase in my traffic. Here is a breakdown of my social media growth in comparison to last month:
- Facebook page likes: 242 to 595
- Twitter followers: 957 to 1,432
- Instagram followers: 3,011 to 3,612
- Pinterest followers: 305 to 462
- Resources Page | I rounded together a list of my favourite blogging tools on my resources page. I personally love reading resource pages from other bloggers, because it gives me a behind-the-scenes look at their blog!
- Email List Growth | I offer a “Secret Library” incentive to those who sign up for my email list. The Secret Library is full of freebies like blogging printables, worksheets, lists of the best Pinterest group boards and I just added a new feature – styled stock photos. I am SO proud of the email list growth I experienced this month.
Goals for August
- Write More Content | I’m kind of ashamed to say that I didn’t write much content this month. In fact, I only wrote two blog posts! That’s not to say my time wasn’t spent productively, I certainly worked on other aspects on my blog but, next month I want to write more content!
- Connect With More People | I spend a lot of time reading other blogs and next month I want to make a concise effort to actually connect with the awesome people who write them.
- Start a Facebook Group | Full disclosure, this was one of my goals from last month. And although I technically started a Facebook group in July, I haven’t promoted it anywhere and there’s literally no one in it. In August, I want to start promoting this group and gather together a group of awesome entrepreneurs! Want to become one of my first members?
That concludes my second income report. I hope you enjoyed reading about my journey so far and how I made money blogging this month!
If you feel inspired to start your own blog, check out this guide. I can teach you how to set it all up, write great content and make money from any niche. If you have any questions along the way, don’t be afraid to send me an email.
And let’s talk online income in the comments! Have you made money with your blog yet?
Oh, and don’t forget to share this post on Pinterest please!