Knowing how to make money blogging is an essential skill to have as a blogger.
In this post, I am going to detail some of the different ways you can make money from a blog.
I hope this guide will enable you to earn extra side income and then eventually earn enough money blogging to quit your day job!
But before you can start to make money blogging, here is what you need to do:
- Start a blog! If you are brand new to the blogging world, I highly recommend reading my How to Start a Profitable Blog guide. This is where I carefully detail each step of creating a blog that is ready for monetization.
- Skip the free hosting and get self-hosted instead. If you stick with free hosting, your options for monetizing are practically non-existent. I love Bluehost for their amazing customer service (24/7 live chat anyone?) and incredibly cheap prices.
- Make your blog beautiful. The design of your blog will have an indirect impact on how people feel when they visit your site. If your blog is too slow or doesn’t look nice – you might not seem trustworthy enough for visitors to take your recommendations seriously. Buy a beautiful theme and download some must-have blogging tools.
- Write great content. It should go without saying that you’re not going to be able to make much money from blogging unless you’re writing content that resonates with your audience. By this, I mean that your content needs to be entertaining and informative, otherwise it’s very unlikely that you’ll be able to grow a dedicated audience who is interested in what you have to say. Read my Blogging Tips for Beginners post or my SEO Tips for Bloggers post to learn more on creating great content. And make sure you have Grammarly installed on your browser. You would be surprised to know how many little mistakes you’re making.
As I’m sure you have already gathered, this is not something you can just jump into and make a fortune with overnight.
But with hard work and dedication, it is absolutely possible to make money blogging. After reading this guide, you might even be able to make money blogging this month!
Take me for example. I was able to make over $200 in my first month of blogging! The feeling you get when you make money from something YOU created is just unbeatable.
And don’t just take my word for it, I want you to experience that same feeling.
How to Make Money Blogging in 2017
This is definitely one of the most popular ways to make money with a blog. In fact, a lot of the most popular bloggers earn the majority of their income through affiliate marketing.
What is affiliate marketing?
Essentially, affiliate marketing means that you are advertising another company’s products or services in exchange for a commission. When one of your visitors clicks on your link and purchases a product or service from said company, you receive a commission.
Affiliate marketing is straightforward. You sign up for a network, add the affiliate link to your blog post and wait for people to click it!
So many great companies offer an affiliate program that you can join. Seriously, whatever you want to write about, I can almost guarantee that there is a related affiliate program for you to join. The trick is to find the right audience and make sure they are interested in what you’re promoting.
Whether you just started your blog or you’ve been around for a while – most affiliate programs accept everyone. That means you don’t have to worry about having a large social media following or certain traffic levels.
Best Affiliate Networks:
There is a $5 deposit to sign up for Awin, which you will get back once you receive your first payment. Just fill out an application, wait for your approval and start joining all of the affiliates that you want to promote!
Ebates is a great way to earn affiliate income as a blogger and save money on online purchases. You can sign up for free, earn cash back on your online purchases from places like Sephora and Amazon! Sign up for Ebates through my referral link and get $10 in your account for free!
Even Amazon has their own affiliate program, also known as the Amazon Associates platform. And you can earn a commission from anything offered on the site.
I believe that Amazon offers one of the best platforms for people who want to start making money with a blog.
Depending on which product you’re promoting, the commissions usually start around 4%. And again, you can write about any and every product that Amazon has for sale. Another great thing is that the conversion rates are high with Amazon because it’s a brand that most people trust.
I’ll be writing an in-depth guide on how to make money with the Amazon Affiliate program in near the future, so stay tuned for that post.
And if you’re anything like me, you might have trouble keeping track of all your affiliates. Lucky for you, I’ve designed a handy tracking sheet and you can download it for free (along with a ton of other printables) over in my Secret Library. Sign up below for access!
Display Ads (Advertisements)
You have probably noticed display ads on other blogs and websites. That’s because they are one of the easiest ways for bloggers to make money.
What is a display ad?
A display ad is an advertisement that is displayed to your viewers. Implementing these ads on your blog is a rather straightforward process and allows you to make money a few different ways.
You can get paid each time one of your readers views the ad, clicks the ad or generates a sale through the ad. The concept is simple: the more people that see and click on your ad, the more money you can make.
Depending on the topic of your blog and your audience, you can have the potential to earn a lot from your visitors. So definitely consider using display ads if you want to make extra money.
I highly recommend using Media.net for display ads. You have a lot of freedom when it comes to the colors and customization. I find them non-intrusive and pretty to look at.
If you’re interested in writing a sponsored blog post or social media post, then you should definitely sign up with Linqia. This website connects popular brands with bloggers. And it’s totally free to use!
What is a sponsored post?
A sponsored post is when you partner with a specific company and write a blog post about their products or services.
If you’re thinking about writing a sponsored post, I think it’s important to remember a few rules:
- Write a disclosure at the top or bottom of the post letting your readers know that it is sponsored. You don’t want to deceive them.
- Only write sponsored posts for companies that you actually support and would buy from regardless of your sponsorship.
- Space them out. You don’t want all of your blog posts to be sponsored. So share some with your readers but still write your own posts too.
Sell Your Own Product or Service
Creating and selling your own product or service is probably one of the best ways to make money blogging in the long-term.
This is because you have full control over your own products. You set your own prices and don’t need to rely on anyone else to get paid. And rather than sending your readers to a third-party website, you can offer them something of value directly. It’s a win-win situation for everybody.
If you want to go this route, I think it’s important to build your email list. I’ve tried several email marketing services and the one I like best is Mailerlite. You can easily create beautiful landing pages to help sell your product.
And of course, you’ll need to sign up with Freshbooks in order to accurately track your time and bill your clients!
Have Your Own Resources Page
Regardless of the niche you’re in, it’s always a good idea to have your own resources page. For a better example of what this actually is, check out my Ultimate Toolkit for Bloggers.
You can make money with a Resources Page using all of the methods listed above, like affiliate marketing, ads and your own services.
It doesn’t take much time to set up a Resources Page and for many bloggers, it can be the page that receives the most traffic. And if it can help bring in some extra income for your blog, why wouldn’t you consider it?
You’ve got this!
Making money with your blog isn’t going to be easy. It requires a lot of time and effort. If you’re anything like me, you might get frustrated when things don’t seem to be going right – just don’t give up! The end result is worth it, trust.
You have the information you need in order to monetize your blog. So use it!
If you have any questions about how to make money blogging or if you get confused along the way, no worries – we can work together. Sign up for a brilliant blog audit (they’re only $25) or check out my other services.
And don’t forget to sign up for the Secret Library – it’s where I house all of my free printables and resources!